Oil Pulling: Everything You Need to Know31/05/2017
Oil pulling is a rapidly growing trend. This “trend” has actually been around for thousands of years and is here to stay. Oil pulling involves swishing about 1 tablespoon of oil in your mouth for about 20 minutes and then spitting it out. The oil used is typically coconut oil. Our mouths are home to millions of bacteria, fungi, viruses and other toxins. The oil acts as a cleanser and rids your mouth of these unwanted things before they spread through your body.
Benefits of Oil Pulling
- Whitens Teeth: Save money on expensive strips and simply invest in a bottle of coconut oil. Oil has natural antibiotic and antiviral properties. This brightens and cleans your teeth!
- Increases Energy: Oil pulling helps clear out toxic waste from our bodies. Thus, leaving our body with less work to do. This increases our energy levels and ultimately makes us feel better.
- Reduces Headaches: Headaches often occur when the body is under toxic stress. By removing the bacteria from our mouths, we can prevent headaches.
- Keeps Skin Clear: Another benefit of removing toxins from your body is clearer skin. If bacteria doesn’t have a chance to enter our bloodstream, our skin has a better chance of remaining clear of rashes and other skin issues.
- Help with Oral Hygiene: Oil pulling is considered to be a home remedy used to fight against gingivitis, plaque, and microorganisms that cause bad breath.
- Use coconut oil. Coconut oil has the most health benefits of all the oils. It contains lauric acid, which makes it more effective.
- Start out at 5 minutes a day. Take it easy. A slow swish is all you need to reap the benefits of oil pulling.
- Don’t swallow. You just worked hard to remove toxins from your mouth. If you swallow, you will simply ingest them again.
- Oil pulling does not replace brushing and flossing your teeth. It does not reverse the effects of tooth decay.
At Rai Chiropractic, we want to emphasize the importance of improving your health in a proactive effort to reduce the risk of pain and illness. Given the option, most people would prefer to be healthy and avoid illness. For more information or to schedule an appointment, call us at 604-371-4320.